Police have arrested Oscar-winning film director Paul Hagis for sexually harassing a woman in southern Italy. Citing local prosecutors, Italian media reported that he was arrested on Sunday, local time. According to the British Guardian, Haggis, 69, of Canadian descent, traveled to Italy to attend a film festival. The event is being held in the tourist town of Ostuni in Puglia from Tuesday. Meanwhile, various media outlets, including Variety and Los Angeles Times, reported that he had been accused of sexually harassing a woman as well as raping and beating a foreign girl. In a statement, Haggis's attorney Priya Chowdhury claimed that the director was "completely innocent". "I can't discuss the evidence because of Italian law," he said. However, I am sure that all allegations against Haggis will be dismissed. He is completely innocent. He is willing to cooperate fully with the authorities so that the truth can come out quickly. " The film's organizers said in a statement to Variety that they were "shocked and shocked" by the news of Paul Haggis being held in police custody for sexual harassment. Authorities immediately removed him from the scene. They also expressed complete solidarity with the complainant woman. Famous director, producer and screenwriter Haggis won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for Crash in 2006. He later wrote the screenplay for Million Dollar Baby, James Bond's Quantum of Solace and Casino Royale.