International Desk: The Ukrainian forces launched a fierce attack on the Russian mercenary Wagner fighters who were retreating from the eastern city of Bakhmut in Ukraine. About 80 fighters were killed and 119 wounded in the attack on Wednesday, Ukrainian Armed Forces spokesman Serhiy Cherevaty said.
The news is from Newsweek. Cheravaty said, Ukrainian troops destroyed a Russian armored vehicle, a drone, two vehicles and five ammunition depots. He said, "Recently, the level of conflict has reduced significantly. The Russian army is changing positions, the mercenary Wagner fighters have been removed. Wagner Group has recently announced the removal of fighters from Bakhmut. Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin said the troops would withdraw and hand over to the Russian military by June 1.
He announced this in a video message on 25th of this month. Accusing Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and Army Chief Valery Gerasimov of deliberately reducing the supply of ammunition, Prigozhin said, "We employed about 50,000 soldiers, 20 percent of them lost their lives in the Battle of Bakhmut." Cheravati said, "We managed to destroy their ability to fight." I managed to destroy the terrorist Wagners.
Now Prigozhin is retreating from Bakhmut to protect his remaining fighters. The Putin administration celebrated last week by announcing the full capture of Bakhmut after nearly 10 months of offensive. However, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky denied Moscow's claim. Kiev's troops are still fighting to defend the city.