International Desk: At least 11 civilians, including eight children, were killed in an army airstrike in a village in western Myanmar. Independent local media reported online that four people were injured in Wednesday's attack in the village of Vuilu, south of the city of Matupi in the country's Chin state. Myanmar's military government has not announced any attack on the site. As news of the attack began to spread, the UN human rights chief issued a statement calling on all sides in Myanmar to show restraint in military operations.
Civilians are asked to avoid anything that could harm them. Since the military seized power from the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi in February 2021, pro-democracy forces and ethnic armed groups have been under attack by the military-installed government. It often resulted in civilian casualties. Since the army seized power, China has been deeply involved in armed struggle against the military regime.
The armed ethnic opposition group China National Front and its allies seized the town of Rihkhawda on the Indian border last week. Nagai Tam Mong, deputy minister for humanitarian affairs and disaster management in the Government of National Accord, told the AP on Friday that two military aircraft dropped bombs on Wednesday evening in Vuilu, an isolated village in the southern mountainous region of the state. He said over the phone that all the victims were under 12 years of age and two of them were children of teachers.
He said, a church, two school buildings and 18 houses in the village were damaged. There are about 80 houses in the village. A statement issued by the office of UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk in Geneva on Friday said his agency was closely monitoring developments in Myanmar. Anti-military armed groups and their allies have made significant progress. Several hundred soldiers decided to surrender their arms.
Humane treatment of all detainees is essential and retaliation is strictly prohibited, the statement added. According to the statement, about 70 civilians have been killed and more than 90 injured so far due to the escalation of the war that started on October 27. More than 200,000 people have been displaced. The United Nations earlier said that the fighting has displaced nearly 1.7 million people since the military seized power in 2021.